Financial Hardship Policy
If you need support with any of our insurance products or services, we’re here to help you.
How we can support you
If you’re in financial stress and are unable to pay money owed to us that is not a premium, we may — in certain circumstances — agree to:
- offer instalment payments
- delay or extend payment terms
- put the recovery of monies on hold
- release your debt (where appropriate)
- agree with you to pay a reduced lump sum amount
- deduct an excess from a claim amount (cash settlement), and/or
- give you access to our financial hardship support team.
If you’re in financial stress and are unable to pay your premium, then we will work with you to see if we can support you to keep you covered. Support options may include:
- offering instalment payments
- Review your payment terms and dates
- providing you with a review of your policy cover
Managing our debt collectors
How to apply for support
If you’re going through financial hardship, please contact us today. We’ll provide you with a form to apply for financial support and help you through the application process. Please let us know if we can help refer you to external services such as community support and financial counselling services.
Natural disaster and fast tracking of urgent claims
We support all our customers and their communities by responding to catastrophes and natural disasters efficiently, professionally and compassionately.If a natural disaster has meant you have to make a claim under your policy and caused you financial hardship, we may:
- fast track both our assessment of your claim and the process we follow to make a decision about your claim, and/or
- pay you an advance amount in order to ease your urgent financial need within 5 days once agreed.
If you’re in this position, please let us know – we’re here to support you.
Access to other information and support
Here are free and confidential financial counselling resources that can provide advice to Australians in every state and territory:
Essentials by AAI
If you are unable to afford mainstream insurance cover, there may be a solution for your needs. Essentials by AAI provides low cost cover for those on low incomes in partnership with Good Shepherd.
Insurance is provided for cars and/or contents insurance only, is limited to low sums insured, and is subject to eligibility criteria.
Insurance issued by AAI Limited ABN 48 005 297 807. Read the Product Disclosure Statement before making a decision about this insurance. Click here for a copy. This advice has been prepared without taking into account your particular objectives, financial situations or needs, so you should consider whether it is appropriate for you before acting on it. The Target Market Determination is also available.